Ceramic braces are a practical alternative to traditional braces, offering the same smile-enhancing benefits without the noticeable look of metal braces.
Just like traditional braces, clear ceramic braces feature two important components: First, a clear bracket is attached to each tooth. Next, we thread a wire through the brackets. The brackets may be made of a variety of ceramic and composite materials, but you will usually hear us refer to them as “ceramic”.
Care for ceramic braces is the same as with metal braces:
- Elastics must be worn at all times and changed three times daily in order to maintain a consistent force on the teeth.
- Hard and crunchy foods must be avoided during treatment time.
- Soreness is normal for several days following the placement of new braces and adjustment appointments.
- Over-the-counter pain medications can help to relieve soreness.
- Your teeth and braces should be brushed and flossed after each meal.
- Special mouth guards should be worn during contact sports.