During orthodontic treatment, you will be asked to avoid certain types of food that may damage your braces. In general, hard and crunchy foods should not be eaten while you have braces as they have a tendency to damage them, which may lead to a longer treatment time.
Foods to Avoid:
- Hard foods such as candy and nuts..
- Crunchy foods such as chips, popcorn and ice.
- Large foods that you must bite into such as whole apples and carrots.
Foods to Enjoy:
- Soft breads, tortillas, pancakes and muffins.
- Dairy products such as milk, pudding and cheese.
- Soft grains including pasta and rice.
- Meat such as ground beef and chicken.
- Fish and seafood.
- Vegetables that are soft such as mashed potatoes, beans and spinach.
- Soft fruits such as applesauce and bananas.
- Sweets including ice cream, milkshakes, smoothies and cake.
We want to make your orthodontic treatment as comfortable as possible! Please don’t hesitate to call us with any questions that you may have about living with your braces.